Monday, July 28, 2014

The Damn Tax

Let me preface this blog by stating that I have been a resident of the city of Scranton, Pennsylvania  for twenty out of the past twenty-six years of my life. In that time I have seen the city laps into a state of dissolution and depression. I have paid a wage tax since I was fourteen to the city for working with-in its limits and have held a job within the city from that age until this very day. My Parents and many other family members have paid property taxes because they live with-in the city. Moreover, I was educated from Elementary school through higher education in the city of Scranton at Marywood University.

 I use the police force, fire and EMS departments, not to mention their hospitals. I use their crumbling road system and partake in being a patron to their many businesses, most especially at Northern Light Espresso Bar. I use the county courthouse, located there, to locate records and I attend La Festa, First Firday, Arts on Fire, The Saint Patrick's Day Parade, and the Santa Parade all held with in down town Scranton. (I do enjoy all of these, although I have stopped participating in the Parade day since kids screaming for Santa and the many Drunks of St. Patty's day are not appealing to me at my current age.) In short I am a Scrantoian, whether I like it or not.

Therefore it is only right that I take a side in the controversial debate over the commuter tax, planned to be imposed to support the cities depressed pension funds, by standing for the tax rather than against it. As stated above I am a commuter to the city. I work in the boundary of the city and live in Clark's Summit, a suburb of the city. As well my partner and parents work within the city as well. (My Father now resides out side of Scranton.) We would all be subject to paying the tax.
As the tax is 0.75% of the yearly amount one makes at their job, it is not a heavy price to pay. Granted this tax is for the pension (I am not for them and think they are outdated and a drain on the the economy as a whole. As an aspiring teacher, I am entitled to one, but would for-go it and switch to a 401K in order to help the State economy.) of the uniformed and non- uniformed employees of the city. (This I am not happy with and would like to see the money go toward the debt of the city rather than into the police and fire and non uniformed employees. However, I don't get a choice in how the money is spent.) With this being stated, I argue for the tax to support the city.

First, those who pound their fists and say "No Taxation without representation." Bit me! Hard! Don't use historical sayings without knowing the historical content behind it, you ignorant idiot. I am a student of history and would never use that saying in this context or circumstance. It is used by uneducated people of this area and for ill purposes. As a resident of the COMMONWEALTH (Yes, we are NOT a state but a commonwealth.) of PENNSYLVANIA, you DO have representation in terms of how your taxes are spent. If you would bother to read the articles and know where this commuter tax came from, you would know that this act was enacted in the late 80's / early 90's by the STATE representatives to be used by cities with distressed pension funds. Therefore it is with pleasure I say, if you have a problem blame your STATE representatives during that time period in which the bill was enacted in the state legislature. You are represented and have always been so. Take your stupid wishy- washy knowledge of history and go home. You're drunk!

Secondly, for those saying "I don't have a choice in the matter." Hark! Pray tell, Look that way. What do you see? I see a choice on the horizon. Here is your choice as an individual and business. If you do not like the tax, find a job or location else where. Don't work within the city limits. Teach the city a lesson by moving your business or finding another job. Its your right.  Now, I hear you. "Kyle then where will we go?" and, unto you I say. I don't care. If you bitch and moan about working in the city because of an .75 % tax, work in Carbondale, Wilkes-Barre, Hazelton, Kingston, Pittston, Dunmore, Dickson City. OR, work in Wayne, Pike, Wyoming, Susquehanna, Bradford, Schuykill, Carbon or Monroe counties to avoid the tax. You have a choice. Though it is not what you would like, it is a choice.

 That leads me to the opening paragraphs. As a commuter I use, or have the option to use, the fire, EMS, police and non-uniformed employees and their facilities. As a commuter you do to. So, if you don't want to pay for the tax, let me throw out this option. DON'T USE THE FACILITIES OR THE EMPLOYEES! Lets add that into the ordinance and call it a day. If you get mugged and don't want to pay the tax, don't call the police. Go after the bastard yourself. See how far you get. If your business catches on fire, don't call the fire department to put it out. Let that shit burn! If you, god forbid, get into a car accident and get hurt, don't call EMS and fire. In fact don't go to the local hospitals, all of which are located within the city. Go to Marion... nope that closed, or Mid-Valley... that has no ER, oh Wayne Memorial that one will take you. Or Wilkes-Barre General, nurses are on strike though. You'll have to drive to Wayne or Luzerne counties to use the facilities there.

As well, if you think the tax is not for you, maybe you should protest by not going into Scranton. Though you should think of the small business owners you would be hurting. If you don't want to go into the city to boycott the tax, you better hope you don't get a call for jury duty, or need to get a copy of a will, birth certificate, deed, marriage certificate or death certificate. As the city is the county seat of government, it would be hard to get that stuff anywhere else.

Furthermore, if it was not for the City of Scranton, about half the people in the greater Scranton area would not have a job. Think about it, if the city did not exist where would you be? Carbondale? Maybe Wilkes-Barre?

While I understand the tax is not popular, most especially because it taxes residents outside the city limits and the revenue would support the pension funds, I feel that some people should stop and realize what is behind the entire tax. This tax is not a tax by itself but is part of a package deal. Along with negotiating with the unions over pension reform, selling off city assets, such as the sewer authority, city refuse collection etc. etc. I ask that people start to read the articles more and urge the residents of the city to get out and vote for change. (The current percentage of voter turn out is around 30%.)

At the end of the day I know people do not typically make a lot of money in the Scranton area. However, the residents of this area should remember the tax is not even a full percent of their pay check. A small price to pay to help a city that hold the majority of jobs in this area. Again, my stance is not popular outside the city, but I feel it is the right stance to take and if someone won't say it, well then I guess I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment