Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Politics as Usual

It's post election! No more ads, no phone calls or knocks on your door at an ungodly hour. Its wonderful isn't it?
  We know that President Obama was elected to another term as the 44th President of the United States. We know that Americans also sent Republicans back to the House and Democrats to the Senate. And of course, we know how divided Americans are over everything from gay marriage to what type of coffee they drink. The upcoming session of Congress should prove anything but Politics as usual as seen from the election results. Congress as well as the President will have a plethora of issues to choose from during the next four years. Budgets, tax reform, abortion (maybe?), jobs, the economy, energy, foreign policy and of course, gay marriage.
   As of today the U.S. has nine states that allow same sex or gay marriage or some form of it. Good, but not good enough. I, myself, have a partner of over four years. We have, in the past, talked about marriage. Sadly, We live in Pennsylvania (PA) and we currently have a statute stating that the state does not allow gay marriage. My friends often say "You'd think in 2012, the whole U.S. would allow gay marriage." or "Why not? Love is love." I agree with these responses.
   As a young gay man, I hope that the President as well as Congress brings this up. I feel that most people have come to realize that we are not asking for this right to be like everyone else. We ask this right be given to us because we are human too and have the ability to love one another and lead a normal life. I am a history buff, so I will reflect on some words of wisdom.
        "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL men are created EQUAL, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among them are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
Normally I would not us history to fit the current times, because, well history is just that, history. BUT I will make an acceptation in this case. Everyone, regardless of sex, race, religion, age, etc deserves the right to "Happiness." It was true then, and it is true now. Why on earth must people think they are better because they love the opposite sex? Why should they get certain rights and then neglect to offer these rights to other minority groups such as gays and lesbians? Does our happiness not count?
   I was taught happiness is made by you and the one's you love. My parents made that clear. Now, as an adult I have my happiness, but I can not have the right, the same rights that are extended to straight men and women, to marry. Getting back to my partner and our discussions,  we do talk about it, and both agree it is something that would make each of us happy, but my partner hates to talk about something that could " Never happen in a state like this." Its sad to hear that, and I hope one day soon that sentence  that he ends every marriage discussion with, will no longer be relevant.
   Politics as usual. Not anymore. After the election of 2012, I almost cried when I heard that Maryland, Maine and Washington were added to the list of States extending gay marriage and that Minnesota denied a state constitutional amendment to refuse gays the right to marriage. I think things are changing, people are coming around to the idea that everyone should be happy. Will it happen over night? No, but a step in the right direction is better than a step backward, right?
   I am glad President Obama was elected. I think under his guidance, gay marriage might have a fighting chance. I hope, and maybe in the near future, I myself might be elected to help promote the idea of gay marriage. Will it happen.... well, we will just have to wait and see, won't we?


   

No comments:

Post a Comment